The Winnebago County Solid Waste Management Department has added many newly acceptable materials for recycling. Click link to learn more.
Quick Recycling Guidelines:
- Plastic bags should not be used at any time with the single stream recycling program. Plastic bags wrap around the processing equipment. These include the bags you receive from retail grocery and other stores.
- All such plastic bags should be recycled at participating retail locations (visit www.WinnebagoCountySolidWaste.com) for additional information.
- Do not bundle or tie paper.
- Empty and rinse all bottles and containers. Remove and discard all plastic screw caps.
- No need to remove labels from rinsed and empty food cans.
- Empty and rinse all bottles and jars. Metal jar caps and lids are also recyclable.
Examples of what is NOT recyclable:
- Plastic bags, wrap or film
- Motor oil bottles
- Aluminum pans or foil
- Empty paint cans (latex paint can be disposed of with your regular trash when the paint is dry)
- Large/bulky scrap metal items
- Paper contaminated with food or grease
- Tissue paper
- Gift Wrap
- Window glass
- Ceramic, china or drinking glasses
Some examples of newly accepted items:
- Soy milk
- Egg substitute containers
- Produce, Bakery & Deli Containers
- Potato salad or other types
- Any containers from produce, bakery or deli
- Dairy Containers
- Cottage cheese
- Sour cream